Thursday, March 13, 2008

Rozhan M. Idrus

Professor Rozhan M. Idrus

Professor Rozhan M. Idrus, Malaysia, All Sectors

I hold a PhD in Physics and kind of retooled to open and distance learning for about two decades ago. I am now a Professor of Open and Distance Learning, the first of such appointment in a public institution of higher learning in Malaysia.

Trained as an instructional designer, I have published more than 150 scholarly works in the form of books, chapter in books as well as refereed journal contributions and has presented 10 Keynote addresses in Malaysia, Thailand, the Sultanate of Oman, Turkey, Mauritius and Bahrain. I have received more than 50 Invited Speaker status from, among others, Singapore, Indonesia, Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, Japan, Italy, Hong Kong, Vietnam and Malaysia.

I am active in the field of e-learning as a member of the steering committee of e-learning at the University Sains Malaysia and spearheaded the first home-grown e-learning portal in 2003. I represented Malaysia at the ASEAN Sub-Committee on S&T Infrastructure and Resources Development (SCIRD) and Asia-Pacific Advanced Network (APAN) Education Working Group and a member of WSEAS (World Scientific and Engineering Academy and Society) Working Group (WG) on Education & Educational Technology.

I am the Founding Chief Editor of the Malaysian Journal of Educational Technology (2001-present) and Chief Editor (2000-2006) of the Malaysian Journal of Distance Education; also a member of the Editorial Board of ten international journals. I am the present President of the Malaysian Educational Technology Association (META).

I grow my own bonsai plants, cook and spend a lot of time reading, collecting many things including coins, comics, first day covers and am a fan of Formula 1. I have recently been appointed as the Chief Editor of The International Journal of Excellence in e-Learning, centred in Dubai, UAE.

eLearning .....? I've had E-Nough!!
My perspective on the issues of elearning globally.

Theme: elearning, technogogy, computer mediated communication, blended learning